Top 8 AB Testing Tools To Increase Conversions In 2023
Have you ever had to flip a coin to decide what to get?
If you can’t remember, I can. I used to flip coins a lot back in the day to decide what sweets to get, sneaker brands to buy, you get the idea.
In business, AB testing replaces this flip-a-coin approach with actual data from your customers/site visitors about their perception of your website and reception to your offers.
If you’re on this page, then you know what A/B testing is and you’re yet to decide what tool to go with.
Selecting the right A/B testing tool is critical to execute A/B testing effectively. The tool’s capabilities can make or break your optimization efforts.
To have an unbiased approach, I consulted with CROs who work with several AB testing tools to share their thoughts.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Why AB Testing Matters
A/B testing plays a pivotal role in optimizing the customer experience and improving conversions across industries. It provides a way to directly ask customers which version of a page resonates best with them.
According to Gitnux, 77% of companies are running A/B testing on their website, 60% on their landing pages, and 44% use split testing software. Only 7% find it difficult, showing that A/B testing is invaluable for improving website conversion rates.
By delivering two variants of a page to targeted traffic segments and analyzing which performs better, businesses gain actionable insights into customer preferences.
A/B testing enables data-driven optimization of landing pages, product pages, checkouts, and pricing plans (fueled by direct customer insight).
Leading companies like Netflix, and Booking, including major e-commerce retailers like WoolWorth SaaS leverage A/B testing to boost conversions.
The value of AB testing lies in learning directly from customers to create experiences that compel the action you want. With shifting consumer expectations and multi-device engagement, A/B testing is essential for businesses to understand behavior and continuously adapt.
This split-testing approach yields the level of insights required to optimize conversions in today’s digital landscape.
Top AB Testing Tools
Convert is an experimentation tool that lets you launch AB tests, split tests, multivariate tests, full stack tests, etc.
They provide enterprise AB testing features at a self-service price. This means if you don’t want a 6 figure annual contract from other tools but want the features they offer, Convert is the perfect Choice.
Trusted by brands like Sony Audi UK, MANSCAPED, agencies like Conversion Rate Experts, etc.
Convert boasts of 90+ integrations, which ensures it fits with your existing tech stack and data isn’t siloed examples include (Shopify, Hotjar, WordPress, GA4, Hubspot, etc).
249, 822 experiments are launched yearly with the convert tool.
Pricing: There’s a 15-day free trial with no credit card required, after which pricing starts at $349 monthly (when paid annually. You also save 30%).
Here’s an overview of their pricing page:
- Fast integration
- Quick test setup
- Excellent loading times
- Support docs could be more comprehensive
VWO is the leading experimentation tool in the market. With a 0.71% share of the market (websites that use VWO) according to builtwith.
Trusted by brands like Amazon, sonova, flex, Suzuki, etc.
VWO is designed as an end-to-end optimization tool to cover the entire user journey.
Here are some of VWO’s capabilities:
- Testing (web testing, mobile app testing, server side testing)
- Behavior analytics (web insights, mobile app insights)
- Web rollouts
- Customer data platform, etc
Pricing: there’s a 30 days full-featured trial with no credit card required. After that, the pricing plan is grouped into 4 tiers as seen below:
- The VWO interface is pretty intuitive and let’s non-technical users make variants for testing
- Tests can be scheduled to run at a particular time.
- Dev team can take a while to turn around projects
- Preview experience doesn’t always match what other tools show
Trusted by brands like Klaviyo, Calvin Klein, SEPHORA, and USA Today, AB Tasty is the full-featured experimentation platform for 1000+ businesses.
Here are some of the capabilities of this platform:
- Web experimentation (AB testing and multivariate testing with low to no code approach)
- Feature experimentation (server-side AB testing, mobile apps AB testing etc)
AB Tasty has 36 integrations put into 3 groups (Push – to send data, pull – to retrieve data, and TMS & data layer – to retrieve your dataLayer variables and use it within AB Tasty targeting.)
Pricing: Get your custom quote
- Support: the CSMs (big up Eloise) are great, and support us a lot on different topics/aspects, which is not always the case for other solutions.
- Client-side: It is really easy to use, flexible, and there are no technical issues.
- The devs: the developers at AB Tasty are really reactive, and provide big support.
- No free trial/freemium model
Trusted by brands like Okta, Gong, Drift, Intellimize is an experimentation tool with sharp personalization features.
One of its key features is 1:1 personalization at every touchpoint on your site. With the help of a feature called AI Optimize, it dynamically presents unique page variations to each visitor.
The AI behind this is trained on a whopping 10 billion web pages, tailoring page variations to boost the likelihood of conversions for the actions you desire visitors to take.
When it comes to testing and experimentation, you have the liberty to choose from AI-driven optimization, A/B testing, or applying flexible rules for personalization—all under one roof.
Setting up experiments is a breeze thanks to a no-code visual editor, and the ability to run an unlimited number of variations. You can kickstart optimization in mere minutes, making it a time-saver.
Now, onto goal setting and analysis. Intellimize encourages you to set both site-wide and page-level optimization goals, aligning every goal with your business objectives to drive meaningful engagement. The AI Optimize feature shines again here, speeding up testing to deliver results up to 25 times faster than traditional methods.
This always-on AI-driven tech ensures you never miss a conversion, which is like having your cake and eating it too.
Pricing: No free trial, here’s what the pricing model looks like
- Incredible customer success team
- A new dashboard that allows you to quickly sort tests and see conversion comparisons easily.
- No free plan/freemium model
- The dashboard could be clunky
Optimizely offers a robust experimentation feature that allows businesses to run A/B tests and optimize their digital experiences.
With Optimizely, experimentation is broken into two categories:
- Web experimentation: run AB tests, visual editor, advanced test types, CDN AB testing
- Featured experimentation: enables engineers to merge and deploy code according to their own guidelines, without having to actually release features until stakeholders are ready – then flip the switch!
Trusted by brands like MailChimp, Atlassian, SKY, etc.
Pricing: Request pricing
- Its user-friendly interface makes it simple to set up and manage experiments.
- Utilizing user IDs, Optimizely enables us to group users and monitor their behavior across experiments.
- It can be challenging to learn how to use the tool
- Customer support doesn’t respond on time (according to some users)
This is a tool of choice for businesses interested in experimentation and personalization.
From standard A/B tests to more complex multivariate tests, client, server-side, or hybrid testing, Monetate offers a variety of testing capabilities to suit different organizational needs.
The platform is intuitive for non-coders yet offers flexibility to satisfy the technical demands of more seasoned users.
Monetate’s personalization engine transcends basic segmentation, delivering more tailored experiences to audiences across all touchpoints.
The personalization engine facilitates hyper-relevant experiences for each visitor based on accumulated data about them, outscaling the capabilities of mere segmentation.
Utilizing AI, Monetate’s 1-to-1 personalization aims at exceeding benchmark goals like increasing conversion rates, reducing bounce rates, or enhancing engagement.
- It’s user friendly, anyone can build a test on their website without needing developers.
- It’s difficult to find actions within an experience, there is no search function
- Experiences categorization is poor
This is the go-to tool for many businesses interested in experimentation.
Trusted by Humana, PetSmart, Teleflora, ASDA, etc.
Their product is divided into 4 buckets:
- AB Testing: you can launch AB tests, multivariate tests, client-side testing, and server-side testing.
- Personalization: machine learning AI, personalized recommendations, behavioral targeting, contextual targeting, etc.
- Rollout: SiteSpect Rollouts goes beyond simple “on/off” feature toggling and feature flag testing. With SiteSpect’s unique and patented architecture, you can roll out and A/B test full releases, infrastructure components, app frameworks, and individual services.
- Recommendation: you can now add product recommendations anywhere on any page without engaging your developers. Changes to location, type, size, and layout can be executed in a matter of minutes without a single line of code.
- It offers a lot of customizable options
- It’s not intuitive
- Limited integration (said by some users)
A 2023 Gartner MQ leader for the 6th consecutive year
With Dynamic Yield, you’ll have access to a wide range of tools. Most importantly, you’ll be able to continuously A/B test and optimize across platforms (desktop, mobile web, apps). These tests are predictive in nature and leverage the capabilities of machine learning algorithms to continuously improve ROI.
Dynamic Yield, however, specializes in advanced omnichannel personalization solutions. You’ll be able to segment and quantify every user interaction and response and dynamically adjust your content to best suit each individual. Combine your segments with personalized notifications to get the most out of this particular tool.
- Amazing customer success service.
- Campaign reporting isn’t optimal yet (according to some users).
Criteria For Selecting An AB Testing Tool
Ease of Use
Thoroughly examine the user experience of any A/B testing tool under consideration.
Signing up for a free trial can provide hands-on experience with the interface and workflows. Evaluate the intuitiveness of the dashboard and how easy it is to set up new tests or make changes.
Look for drag-and-drop visual editors that enable both marketers and developers to quickly build and iterate on test variations.
Optimal usability means any team member can run tests without extensive training. Examine capabilities for collaboration so insights can be easily shared across stakeholders.
Frictionless usability ultimately saves time and accelerates the testing cycle.
The ideal A/B testing tool will balance power and simplicity.
At a minimum, ensure the platform provides diverse targeting options, conversion tracking, scheduled test duration settings, and automated reporting.
Sophisticated behavioral targeting based on analytics data allows you to hone in on underconverting segments. Easy implementation of advanced targeting parameters like device, location, and audience attributes should be possible.
Look for seamless integration capabilities with your tech stack like website analytics, email, and CRM systems. Personalization is all the rage now, you can look for that when evaluating tools.
This enables leveraging existing customer data to inform tests. Carefully evaluate the available metrics beyond clicks and conversions that can be tracked as the objective for optimization. Prioritizing the right feature set aligns the tool closely with your testing goals.
The pricing model directly correlates to the included capabilities. Free or entry-level plans allow basic A/B testing but limit the test volume and factors that can be modified.
Look for options to upgrade or expand features as your needs evolve. Mid-tier plans provide more advanced capabilities at moderate costs, while enterprise-level plans offer robust features yet may include unnecessary add-ons.
Examine the testing workflow enabled by each plan tier to determine the optimal balance of functionality and price.
Signing up for free trials of multiple tools can clarify which delivers the right mix.
Look for providers that allow upgrading or expanding your plan as your program matures. The ultimate goal is choosing the tool that provides maximum lift in conversions for minimum cost.
Frequently Asked Questions About AB Testing Tools
1. Question: What is A/B testing?
Answer: A/B testing, also known as split testing, is a method of comparing two versions of a page to determine which performs better. It enables data-driven optimization of landing pages, ads, email, and more by delivering variant A and B to targeted groups and analyzing which drives more conversions.
2. Question: How do I choose the right A/B testing tool?
Answer: Look for a tool that balances ease of use with the features required for your testing program. Key aspects to evaluate include the interface and workflows, targeting capabilities, automation, integrations, and pricing model. Signing up for free trials can help assess tools.
3. Question: How much do A/B testing tools cost?
Answer: Pricing varies widely from free basic versions to enterprise-level plans costing thousands per month. Determine your current and future testing needs to find the best value. Entry-level plans work for small programs while mid-tier plans offer more advanced capabilities.
4. Question: What is VWO used for?
Answer: VWO is a leading A/B testing and conversion optimization platform. Key uses include A/B testing landing pages, product pages, checkouts, popups, and more. Users praise its ease of use, automation, and integrations.
5. Question: What is A/B testing for conversion rate?
Answer: A/B testing is used to directly improve conversion rates by testing changes to pages and optimizing the variant that performs better. It provides data on how changes to copy, layout, images, offers, etc. impact conversions.
Is your CRO programme delivering the impact you hoped for?
Benchmark your CRO now for immediate, free report packed with ACTIONABLE insights you and your team can implement today to increase conversion.
Takes only two minutes
If your CRO programme is not delivering the highest ROI of all of your marketing spend, then we should talk.