CRO Case Study: Dunelm
Sector: Retail (homewares)
AWA Client Since: 2015
Key Result: "The best research I've seen in my 15 years in ecommerce"
Dunelm is one of the UK’s leading home furnishing retailers, with 150 stores and an ambitious programme of store openings.
Home delivery had been identified as a target for growth. Traditionally most effort had been focused on getting more visitors to the site, but costs were rising and results declining. Conversion Rate Optimisation was the obvious choice to start getting more return on the investment in traffic.
Return on investment
Dunelm turned to AWA to kick start the process. Director of Multi-Channel, Ben Harness, explained “We had picked most of our low hanging fruit in terms of site changes. We now needed to up the game in terms of real intelligence and real scrutiny in terms of the site and how we can effectively drive that revenue per visitor.”
Dunelm were surprised by the depth and breadth of AWA’s research which included:
- Analysis of 7,962,681 Coremetrics visitor records
- Analysis of 26,126,009 Google Analytics sessions
- Tracking and visualisation of 80,000 visitor mouse movements
- Analysis of 15,534 customer email survey responses
- 300 minutes of usability testing, observing customers using the website and talking to them in real time
- Store visits, talking to customers and staff
- Analysis of 11,015 on-site pop up survey responses
- Plotting and analysing 840 navigation tasks
- Mystery shopping to gain insights into the experience
A great outcome
User journeys for tablet, desktop and mobile highlighted exactly where most visitors were dropping out, while surveys and actual quotes from numerous customers helped shed light on why, which put Dunelm in a strong position to create a cost-effective CRO programme.
Ben Harness said, “It was excellent. That then informed the plan. We had some targets at the start, we tested what we wanted, achieved our plan and had a great outcome from it. All in all, it was very smooth and very positive. I’d be more than happy to recommend and to advocate the work that AWA has done for Dunelm.”
What to do next…
1. Download free CRO resources
Access our helpful free guides on all aspects of CRO from the mysteries of Universal Analytics, to web copy, usability, split testing and more. Or sign up for our 11 helpful tips; two weeks of CRO golden nuggets, sent straight to your inbox.
2. Buy ‘E-commerce Website Optimization’
Amazon business book, co-written by AWA’s CEO and COO, Dan Croxen-John and Johann van Tonder. Buy on Amazon
3. Call us and ask how we would optimise your site
What help do you need? A little extra resource to help your team code up split tests faster, or make sense of analytics? Or a full service optimisation agency, able to handle international websites? Just call 020 7887 2695 and ask for a quote.